In 1275 Walsham was given by Royal Charter of Henry III, the right to hold a weekly market
The Market Rights Indenture was purchased from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners with the Market Cross on the 5 February 1914.
There is also a Farmers Market on the last Sunday in every month, if you are interested in having a stall at this market please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Market Cross is a listed building, originally used to collect the Market tolls from the traders
Built in 1549 by Bishop Thirlby, it was damaged by the great Fire of North Walsham in 1600 and repaired in 1602 by Bishop Redman.
It was purchased for the Ecclesiastical Commissioners on 5 February 1914 for £25 and the roof was replaced with the present lead structure in 1984
Town Clock within the Market Cross
The Town Clock which is a chiming clock was purchased in 1899 with funds from the North Walsham Steeplechase. It was originally a one handed clock that was acquired from Worstead Hall in 1787.
In our 21st century digital age, it is an interesting tradition that our Town Clock remains a hand wound machine. Twice each week our grounds staff climb into the roof of the Market Cross and wind the clock.